Leftover Green Chile Turkey Pot Pie
The Christmas holiday is quickly approaching, which means, HOLIDAY FEAST! My eyes are always bigger than my stomach and I tend to make way more food for our meal than anyone can possibly eat. And guess what that means? LEFTOVERS! So many tasty ways to eat leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.
We had a reader submission for a green chile turkey and dumpling pot pie, so I wanted to create a recipe inspired by this. I make pot pies for my extended family on a regular basis, so this is an incredibly easy comfort food recipe, that is sure to please everyone’s tummy!
Green Chile Turkey Pot Pie
courtesy of bettycrocker.com
- 3 cups frozen peas, corn and carrots
- 1 cup chopped green chile
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey meat – light and dark meat mixed
- 4 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Using 1/2 of the butter, cook onions and celery until translucent. Do not remove from pan.
- Prepare the roux by placing flour and remaining butter in skillet and incorporate on medium heat for 5 minutes constantly stirring.
- Slowly add chicken broth and whisk vigorously. There will be clumps, but over time they will dissolve.
- Add frozen vegetables, green chile, seasonings, and milk. Reduce heat to low, Stir in cubed turkey meat. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fit 2 pie crusts into the bottom of two 9-inch pie dishes. Spoon half the filling into each pie crust, then top each pie with another crust.
- Pinch and roll the top and bottom crusts together at the edge of each pie to seal, and cut several small slits into the top of the pies with a sharp knife to release steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crusts are golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. If the crusts are browning too quickly, cover the pies with aluminum foil after about 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.