Crispy Chile Popper Rolls
I came across this creative recipe a few months ago and did some experimentation with it. Warning: these things are addicting! These tasty bites are great for entertaining (football season!!), or even as a side dish for your next family dinner. There are a few ways to change up this recipe and make it your own.
These are mini egg rolls, so they are actually made with wonton wrappers. Wonton wraps can be found at most grocery stores in the refrigerated produce aisle. There are so many options for stuffing these tasty treats: shredded chicken, black beans, green chile, bacon bits, etc. Get creative with it! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, or simply enjoy by themselves.
Green Chile Popper Egg Rolls
- 6-8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup roasted hatch green chile, diced
- oil for frying
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees, pour enough oil to cover at least ½ up the sides of the rolls.
- Combine the cream cheese, shredded cheeses, jalapeño or green chile, garlic powder, and pre-cooked chicken in a medium sized bowl.
- a. Place each wonton wrapper diagonally and add 1 tablespoon or less of filling (be careful not to over-fill) b. Brush water over edges of the wrapper and fold in half pinching to seal. c. Fold the sides in and roll the egg roll ensuring it is completely sealed.
a. b. c.
- Drop each egg roll into the hot oil for about 3 minutes or until brown and crispy.