Red or Green? Let’s Spice it up!
If you are anything like me, I love to sneak red or green chile into some of my favorite non-mexican dishes. Most recently, I have added green and red chile to Italian dishes. (This is what we call ‘fusion cuisine’ in the culinary world!). Alfredo sauce can be done pretty simply at home, and WAAAAY better than from a jar!
My personal favorite is the Green Chile Alfredo. This can be served with fettucini or penne pasta. Or, if you are gluten-free, with Zoodles (click here for another great zoodles recipe).
I have adapted another option for those Red Chile fans out there. This is a traditional Roasted Red Pepper Cream sauce with added Red Chile. This one is packed full of flavor!
Green Chile Alfredo Sauce
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cups chopped roasted Hatch Green Chile
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Meat choices:
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast, ¾-inch diced and cooked
- 8-12 oz. chopped cooked bacon
- 3/4 lb peeled, deveined and cooked shrimp
- Prepare pastas: Peel zucchini into zoodles, pan fry with olive oil until tender / Prepare pasta according to instructions.
- In a skillet add butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat and whisk until melted. Add the garlic, green chile, salt and pepper.
- Whisk until completely integrated. Add the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve over noodles and choice of meat.
adapted from the hatch-green-chile.com
Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup Red Chile Sauce (follow your favorite recipe or try this one here)
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to Broil. Coat the red peppers with olive oil and Grill peppers under the broiler. Remove from oven and cool.
- Remove the seeds and skin and cut peppers into small pieces.
- In a medium frying pan, cook the garlic, basil, and red peppers in olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes. Transfer into blender or food processor. blend until pureed.
- return puree to skillet and stir in cheeses and half-n-half. continue to heat until ingredients are integrated , add butter, salt and pepper.